Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Additional information on Dave

Career Path

I'm sometimes asked for more details about my background after people learn bits and pieces of my history and experiences. In an attempt to provide information that may be helpful in determining if you have a need I can fill or a problem I can solve, I'd like to pass along a few more nuggets on my background.

I was first licensed to practice law in Pennsylvania in 1980. Rather than following a traditional path, I chose to immediately apply my legal and business education (see LinkedIn for education and experience) in the public sector; I became a special agent for the FBI investigating organized crime, public corruption, and white collar crime. To more fully apply my finance background and to gain sales experience, I moved to the brokerage industry where I specialized in assisting businesses with their operating cash management and long term investments. This combination of investigative and sales experience led me to a corporate position targeting the curtailment of grey market telephone systems. I expanded this position over a number of years to include Legal, Marketing, Sales Support, and Operations.

Today, I pursue my passion for conflict management and resolution through collaborative law, mediation, and workplace reconciliation. I also provide legal and business counsel in transactions, operations, contracts, anti-trust compliance, channel / distribution strategy, sales support, strategic alliances, negotiations, marketing communications, ethics, merger and acquisition due diligence, policy development, process implementation, and software licensing.


Career Validation and Interests

As part of some ongoing career development, I underwent testing to determine how I align with others in my profession. Not surprisingly, the tests indicate that I am not your typical attorney. For example, my highest three areas of interest are “mechanical”, “outdoor”, and “social service.” I prefer direct action and solving practical problems. I am oriented toward tangible, visible and measurable results. Unlike most attorneys to whom I am compared, I do not rely upon selling, promoting, and influencing skills in accomplishing my goals.

I'm a builder; not a professional builder or contractor, but a home improvement, energy efficiency, home remodeling, handyman kind of builder. I get dirty on Saturdays and understand the building trades.


Mediation Services and Collaborative Law

I am a trained mediator available to facilitate dispute resolution through the mediation process. I am also a Collaborative Law practitioner available to represent clients in the process of addressing conflicts between parties seeking to maintain relationships.


Importance of Knowing

What difference does this information make to you when choosing your business counsel? Perhaps no difference; but perhaps it matters that your counsel has lifetime experience, knows how to work with his hands, can relate to individuals at all levels, and understands the effort it takes to build – a shed, a house, or a business. Perhaps it matters that your counsel understands the basis of conflict and has been trained in dispute avoidance, management, and resolution.


It may be legal, but is it right?




No comments: